Firstly the good news. We are back home with two embryos where they should be. They survived the thaw and were rated as two grade 1 hatching blastocysts. Interesting considering that the ‘left over’ embryos from our fresh cycle were a grade 1 expanding blastocyst and a grade 2 early blastocyst.
Now in my cynical mind it makes me think they gave them a once over with a magnifying glass and graded them as they were walking passed said magnifying glass in a rush to get the morning coffee.
Or maybe I am a Doubting Thomas and they really did progress in the half a day they were out of the freezer.
The doctor did double check we wanted both back so I saw that as a promising sign. Two is better than one is my thinking.
So all good on the FET front.
The trip was stressful though.
1) The flight was under threat due to the latest Icelandic volcano eruption. We didn’t know until the day whether we would have to drive across Europe to get there. Thankfully all was good to go in the air.
2) Having a 1 year old in tow did not make for a relaxing time. Not that I am complaining for one minute, but air travel is tough at the best of times and being there was an ‘on your feet constantly’ type of trip.
3) We arrived at the apartment we rented to find that ‘demolitions r us’ were in residence in the entrance area. Which meant the apartment was covered in dust. Not so much of a problem but it was really hard to breathe! We mopped, dusted and scrubbed but still the ash cloud continued to pervade our every pore. My hair felt like I’d had a day on the beach after a couple of hours of being there. Not good. On top of that, I’ve had a persistent cough for many weeks and the apartment ash cloud didn’t not help. One. Bit.
Cue us begging one of the clinic staff to rent us their apartment for 2 nights, which she kindly did (eventually) despite having a ‘no children’ rule. Tiger suits a straight jacket though.
4) My cough got worse and worse while we were there. My body feels like I’ve been kicked in the ribs from every angle. It hurts my chest to breathe. So I spent this morning at the hospital seeing a doctor. He has given me Am.oxicillin, a penicillin. Which pisses me off no end as the doctor I saw 2 weeks ago said my cough was nothing and despite me saying I wanted to be rid of it before my IVF, would not prescribe anything. A-hole.
So we are home but I’m not totally happy. I’m scared that all my coughing and I mean really bad coughing is scuppering my chances. Oh and the fact I’m having to take antibiotics, that might hinder things too.
I guess we will just have to wait and see.